Youth Services Librarian
Dorothy Alling Memorial Library in Williston, VT is seeking a dynamic Youth Services Librarian to serve a population of approximately 10,000. The busy youth services area is well loved by preschoolers and their parents and is always buzzing with activity after school. Our youth services librarians have a history of cooperation with the larger daycares and two elementary schools in town, area home-school families and the local union high school. Ideal candidates will demonstrate collaborative leadership, community connections, innovation in their field and be able to communicate their love of learning with patrons of all ages.
This position collaborates extensively with the Assistant Youth Services Librarian and also exercises supervisory responsibilities over student staff members and volunteers. There is regular cooperation with the librarian in charge of adult programs for the creation of intergenerational events.
- Prepare and present programs to meet patron needs, including summer reading and bookmobile programs;
- Provide reader's advisory and reference services to youth and their caregivers;
- Primary responsibility for development of a collection serving infants through teens and shared responsibility for parenting collection;
- Development of the annual budget for youth services;
- Basic cataloging and classification of youth library material;
- Prepare grant applications, administering same and keeping records as required;
- Promote youth related programs, both in-house and in the community, through a variety of materials and media;
- Recruit volunteers, guest artists and displays relating to youth services;
- Outreach to the schools and community, including encouraging field trips to the library;
- Assist in management of the bookmobile, including developing budget and routes, maintaining the collection, maintaining an inventory and publicity, operating the vehicle, maintaining circulation, shelving and statistics, and preparing reports;
- Develop and maintain community connections for the mutual benefit of the library and community organizations, in particular those serving youth.
Requirement: MLS or equivalent and at least two years' experience with children and teens required. Full time, includes on evening a week and an occasional Saturday. Must have valid Vermont driver's license and have the ability to drive the bookmobile.
Annual salary range $43,680 - $62,795 for a 40-hour week, commensurate with qualifications. Excellent benefits.
This position is open as of mid to late June 2019. See job description here.
Cover letter, resume and 3 references to:
Marti Fiske, Director
Dorothy Alling Memorial Library
21 Library Lane
Williston, VT 05495